St. Vincent de Paul - Serving Bend Families For Over Thirty Years
St. Vincent de Paul has served those in need in the Bend area since 1981. We are a private non-profit 501(c)3 Social Service agency supported by individual donations and grants. All donations stay in our local community to serve others regardless of religion, race, place of origin or gender. There are other St. Vincent Social Service offices in La Pine, Redmond and Prineville. The following statistics are for the Bend area only.
- We serve, on average, 500 Bend families per month with food, personal care items, and prescription help.
- Every major agency, including the City of Bend, St. Charles Hospital, NeighborImpact, Salvation Army and Bend Family Access Network refer clients to us.
- Our trained staff also refers clients to other service agencies-including churches, when we cannot help or other services are more appropriate.
- St. Vincent de Paul disburses enough food to provide over 25,000 meals per month at an annual cost of over $30,000. In addition, many local businesses, individuals and stores donate food on a regular basis. We also provide USDA food commodity products.
- Many local bakeries, stores, farmers and individuals donate fresh food to us on a regular basis.
- In the last fiscal year of 2010-2011 we provided 6,961 children and 11,049 adults with 267,975 meals. $794 was given out for prescriptions.
- All of this is administered by a part time paid staff of 3 caring, dedicated interviewers and over 23 food pantry workers and drivers. Out of a Social Service Staff of 53 volunteers, only two are part-time paid employees.
- The increased costs of living in Central Oregon has placed many families in crises. Budget cuts to programs, along with low wages compared to housing costs and the increase in gas, food and utility costs have put those who struggle financially in jeopardy.
- Of all cash donations, 90% goes directly to those in need. Two thirds of our assistance money is provided by small private donations of $150 or less.
In 1979 a small group of caring people started collecting mostly canned goods around Bend and storing these food items in their own garages. Collecting names mostly from word of mouth, they would deliver food boxes to those needy homes. As this service continued to grow, the Board of Directors was formed and the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store was opened in 1981 by the Bi-Mart store. In 1985, St. Vincent de Paul purchased our current location on Third Street for the operation of Social Services. Unfortunately, the thrift store was closed due to diminished revenue.
Our primary function is to help the needy with an emergency 5 day food box, and utility and prescription assistance as funds are available. Our secondary function is managing our rental units which generates operating funds for our Social Services so that 90% of donations can go out the door to those in need. Our Property Manager is on call any time our tenants need help.
St. Vincent de Paul is overseen by a Board of Directors. Social Services is run by a Director with the help of a Food Pantry Manager. These are part-time paid positions backed up by a staff of 53 volunteers.